Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Potatoes and Such

This is the "new" raised bed we put in sometime last spring. I planted some carrots in it but then ended up neglecting it water-wise. We cut away some of the low-hanging tree branches and I have vowed to keep it well-watered. Since our sprinkler system is broken, we'll probably have to purchase some more splitters and lay out some "semi-permanent" drip hose to those places. Again, I digress.

I usually get too ambitious and specific with my plans so I decided to just throw a single picture of what can/should be planted together and wait to do the detailed plan until I've actually planted it. This is what the planted bed looks like.


Though they're impossible to see in this picture, I put 2 42" tomato cages in the back right and planted 2 different types of peas underneath each. I hadn't planned on planting peas but decided later to do it since they're cheap and are a nice snacky veggie that likes the chillier temps of spring. I find tomato cages pretty annoying to use with actual tomatoes and figured this would be a much better use for them.


The empty spaces are left for green beans and pepper plants in late May/early June. I might plant some lettuces, etc. in a couple of weeks so I'm not overwhelmed by lettuce all at once. Will also put some flowers: alyssum, marigolds, chamomile.

We had some pretty major wind last night and it blew the straw off the west potato patch so I'll have to go re-cover that. I need to give it a good soaking today, too. (The potatoes are on the north side of the bed.)

No comments: